The way to recover any or part of income taxes that you or someone supporting you have paid or increased deductions from income or to claim additional benefits is through the Disability Tax Credit. Some refunds may also be available through the Infirmity Amount. To claim these amounts, one does not have to be bed ridden or totally dependent upon others to qualify. Nor does CRA require that one should not be able to work or earn income.
Disability Tax Credit:
The Government offers tax deductions and credits for people with disabilities. These deductions and credits are processed through your tax return. Certain medical conditions based on criteria set by Canada Revenue Agency have to be met.
Have a family member / relative with physical and / or mental impairment?
Caregiving can be emotionally, physically and financially stressful. However, we have several good
news for people with health issues making daily living activities difficult (and not necessary
- Cooking or eating food
- Elimination – bowel or bladder functions
- Mental Health, including adaptive functions, memory, and problem-solving, goal setting and
- Need of life-sustaining therapy – chest physiotherapy, type 1 diabetics, etc.
- There are significant financial benefits available for people with health issues. These benefits
- Tax refund – up to $16,000
- Contribution to Registered Disability Savings Plan
- Grants – up to $70,000
- Bonds – up to $20,000
- If the person with difficulty does not have enough income /taxes paid, the tax reduction can
be transferred to a family member (spouse, children, parents and / or siblings) or a relative
by blood or by marriage (parents, grandparents, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, grandchildren)
- The person receiving the transfer of tax reduction does not have to live with the person with
disability nor do they have to physically take care of the person with disability
Hopefully these benefits will reduce the financial and to some extent emotional stress.
Wondering how to avail these benefits – there is more good news – you don’t have to worry about
this – we will take care of it. Fill up the contact form on the right side and we will give you a call, get
you to sign a couple of documents and take it from there.